Tuesday, July 9, 2013

ch ch ch changes.

Summer, glorious summer, what have you done with my work ethic?! Back in May, I dreamed and dreamed of those long summer days that I could spend creating and blogging until I could create and blog no more. Instead, I've been doing a whole lot of this:
Princesses, housewives, realtors, chefs, here's what I have to say to you:
Thanks a bunch, Bravo.

Despite my best, bravo-rrific attempts to avoid work, I have managed to get one thing checked off my to-do list this summer: the office. But before we dive into any before and after shots of the office, I should probably tell you why this little room was on my agenda in the first place. Come September 2013, I will no longer be teaching first grade! Instead, I will be doing my very best to impart wisdom, knowledge, and a general understanding of finger painting to two and three year olds at a local preschool! Further, I will be spending the couple of extra hours I gain from the shorter preschool day to follow in my dad and grandfather's footsteps! My grandfather was an incredibly talented artist who specialized in the creation of calligraphied and watercolored scriptures - a product our family dubbed "Scripture Pictures". Here's an example of my grandfather's work:

My goal is to take some inspiration from my grandfather's work and create a more modern line of Scripture Pictures that will feature updated calligraphy and graphics! Mr. Spouse and I are super jazzed about this next little adventure in our lives!

So there you have it, a new business venture requires a new office. Duh. So let's get right down to it. Before, the office was Mr. Spouse's man cave rife with rich mahogany, leather-bound books, and an award-winning collection of Yankee memorabilia.


While I didn't really mind the decor of the space, the simple fact was that there wasn't enough room for me to share the Mr.'s desk with him, and my desk area....
...wasn't going to be large enough to hold my new computer and printer. Ergo, new office space must be created with ample room for the Mr. and me to TCB (take care of business, to the layperson).

We went from this:

To this:

And from this:

To this:

Over the next few days, I will walk you through each component of the space, but for now, here's some close-ups of my work area...




...and Mr. Spouse's work area...

{Yankees gear still in tow...}

The bookshelves also got a little girly love.



Even though the Mr. still maturely announces "Girl in the treehouse!" every time I enter our office, I'd say we both got exactly what we needed from this little room, don't you think?

Stay tuned over the next few days for a full breakdown of the creation of our desk space, shelving units, and lighting for the oficina! 

1 comment: