Sunday, February 2, 2014

a happier hutch.

During our move to our casita, you might remember me finding this spectacular hutch at a garage sale on my way to a wedding shower for a mere sixty bones and restoring it so that it could take up residence in our dining room.


While I have been head-over-heels in love with this piece, over the past couple of months, the brass was becoming rather tarnished and discolored.



Sick out. Maybe I didn't polish it well enough with Brass-O when I first refurbished the piece or maybe the brass hardware was simply showing its age, but either way, it was an eyesore and it certainly wasn't making the name of "campaign" proud.

Since the Brass-O polishing approach failed miserably after the first attempt, I decided to apply a bit of Rub 'n Buff to each of the brass pieces so that they'd really pop against the smoky gray body of the hutch. Campaign Restorers Anonymous may tar and feather me for not polishing, but #sorrynotsorry.

For the hardware that was nailed into the hutch, I simply applied the Rub 'n Buff with the hardware still affixed so I didn't have to wrestle with those minuscule nails again. As for the pulls, those were easy enough to remove from the drawers and since they were more layered, I figured I would need to work on those in a more detailed manner. So I removed all of the pulls from the drawers...

...and after a single application of Rub 'n Buff, we were looking so much better!

With the pulls sufficiently buffed and the affixed hardware glistening like new, the hutch is looking so much more campaign-worthy!





Oh, Rub 'n Buff, how did I ever do anything without you?!

1 comment: